Qualifications for an Arizona massage therapy license:
An applicant may qualify for an Arizona massage therapy license by one of the following processes:
1. Regular license (A.R.S. § 32-4222 and A.A.C. R4-15-201)
The applicant is seeking licensure based on having graduated from a massage school with a minimum of 700 hours. If graduated from a school outside of Arizona, the applicant has passed the national licensing exam from either the FSMTB or the NCBTMB.
The applicant is seeking licensure based on having been licensed in another state or United States territory for at least two of the last five years immediately preceding the application.
The applicant is seeking licensure based on holding a current certification from the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork and has graduated from a massage school with a minimum of 500 hours.
4. License by universal acceptance (A.R.S. § 32-4302)
The applicant is seeking licensure based on holding a license in another state or United States territory for one year and is active at the time of application, and the applicant has established residency in the State of Arizona.
All application materials become the permanent property of the Board and will not be returned.
- Completed and signed application
- Payment made online using “Make a Payment” tab or paid with a cashier’s check or money order in the amount of $217.00
- A full set of fingerprints on a standard FD-258 fingerprint card for the purpose of obtaining a federal and state criminal records check. Available at most local police stations, UPS stores, www.arizonalivescan.com or by Googling fingerprint services near you and may be submitted, to the Board, no more than 8 weeks prior to the submission of your license application
- One passport quality photograph of the applicant’s head and shoulders no larger than 2 1/2 by 3 inches taken no more than 60 days before the date of the application
- Photo Basics
- Submit a color photo, taken in last 60 days
- Use a clear image of the face
- Do not use filters commonly used on social media
- Use a plain white or off-white background
- A legible copy (front and back) of a document from the Evidence of U.S. Citizenship, U.S. National Status, or Alien Status list
- If applicable, written documentation of the applicant’s passing of the Ability-to-Benefit examination. This only applies if the applicant did not graduate from high school or receive a high school equivalency diploma
- If applicable, documentation related to any Professional Conduct question of the application in which the answer is “Yes”
- Proof of Arizona Residency
The following documents are direct source only documents. “Direct source only” means that the documents must be submitted to the Arizona State Board of Massage Therapy directly from the issuing agency/entity and cannot be submitted by the applicant.
- Academic transcripts from each Board-recognized school attended
- Written verification of a passing score on the NCBTMB (BCETMB) or FSMTB (MBLEx) examination
- Completed license verification(s) if from each jurisdiction the applicant has ever held or currently holds a massage therapy or bodywork license
- Score(s) earned on either the TOEFL or TOEIC examination by applicants for whom English is not their native language.
The applicant shall file with the Board of Massage Therapy (“Board”) an application, accompanied by the total fee of $217.00, ($195.00 application fee + $22.00 background check fee). Payment may be made online using the Board’s “Make a Payment” tab on its website, or by cashier’s check or money order only. The payment is made payable to the Arizona State Board of Massage Therapy.
PLEASE NOTE: All fees are non-refundable, pursuant to A.A.C. R4-25-103.
Additionally, pursuant to A.R.S. § 41-1080.01, if the applicant is applying for an Arizona massage therapy license for the first time and the applicant’s family income does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, the applicant may qualify for a one-time waiver of the Board’s application fee of $195.00.
Proof of Arizona Residency:
An applicant may provide one of the following as proof of having established an Arizona residence:
- A valid Arizona driver’s license
- A current Arizona motor vehicle registration
- Proof of filing Arizona income taxes in the most recent tax year
- Arizona voter registration
- Documentation of a mortgage for a primary Arizona residence
- A dated residential rental contract with proof of payment
- Proof of major banking services in Arizona
- Proof of establishment of Arizona utilities
- Proof of enrollment of children in Arizona schools
- Documentation demonstrating a change in permanent address on all pertinent records
- Military Form 2058
Evidence of U.S. Citizenship, U.S. National Status or Alien Status:
If the document you submit does not contain a photograph, you must also provide a government issued document that contains your photograph. You must submit supporting legal documentation (i.e. marriage certificate) if the name on your evidence is not the same as your current legal name.
An applicant may provide one of the following as evidence of authorized presence in the United States:
- An Arizona driver license issued after 1996 or an Arizona nonoperating identification license.
- A driver license issued by a state that verifies lawful presence in the United States.
- A birth certificate or delayed birth certificate issued in any state, territory or possession of the United States.
- A United States certificate of birth abroad.
- A United States passport.
- A foreign passport with a United States visa.
- An I-94 form with a photograph.
- A United States citizenship and immigration services employment authorization document or refugee travel document.
- A United States certificate of naturalization.
- A United States certificate of citizenship.
- A tribal certificate of Indian blood.
- A tribal or bureau of Indian affairs affidavit of birth.
- Any other license that is issued by the federal government, any other state government, an agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state that requires proof of citizenship or lawful alien status before issuing the license.
The Arizona State Board of Massage Therapy Initial License Application is available below. Please type your answers into the Adobe Sign form, which will be emailed directly to Board staff at the completion of your application, including your e-signature. Where applicable, most of the documentation can be attached to the online applicaiton. Other documents like the state license verifications, transcripts, exam scores, etc. will still need to be submitted by the direct source. If you forget to attach your documents, you may email them to [email protected]. You may also deliver your documents in person or mail them to:
Arizona Board of Massage Therapy
1740 W Adams St, Ste 3401
Phoenix, AZ 85007
NOTE: The fingerprint card cannot be submitted electronically; the original card must be submitted to the Board’s office. Payment may be made by Visa or Mastercard or mailed to the Board's office in the form of a cashier's check or money order.
PLEASE NOTE: All fees are non-refundable, pursuant to A.A.C. R4-25-103.
INITIAL APPLICATION FORM - Online Submission
Initial Application Payment - You must first complete an Initial Application Form Include all documents listed in Instructions and Checklist.
INSTRUCTIONS & CHECKLIST
STATEMENT OF CITIZENSHIP
VERIFICATION OF NON-ARIZONA LICENSE